No matter your personal style—be it trendy, corporate, or casual—your ultimate aim is to exude an air of elegance and beauty through your clothing and accessories. While you meticulously curate your ensemble to perfection, have you ever considered dedicating the same attention to selecting the right handbag or purse before stepping out?
Surprisingly, just like the right pair of pants or a well-fitted shirt, a handbag has the potential to accentuate your body’s natural contours. In this article, we unveil the correlation between your body shape and the ideal purse style, helping you put your best fashion foot forward.
The secret lies in choosing a handbag shape that contrasts with your body type. While the shape should counterbalance your body, the bag’s size should harmonize with your proportions. If you boast a tall and slender frame, opt for large, slouchy bags that elegantly drape against you, enhancing your figure. Conversely, if you’re petite and curvy, embrace contrasts by selecting a handbag that is tall, rectangular, or sleek in design.
A purse that hits mid-torso is universally flattering, beautifully accentuating your waistline.
Explore the following five basic body shapes and their ideal handbag companions:
- Narrow Top/Full Bottom: If your upper body is petite compared to your fuller hips or tummy, draw attention upwards with accessories. Opt for a handbag with short straps that snugly rests beneath your arm.
- Full Top/Narrow Bottom: If you’re seeking to divert attention from a fuller upper body, carry a handbag that elongates your silhouette. Choose long, slouching bags to guide the eye downwards.
- Hourglass: Flaunt your balanced top and bottom proportions, with a defined waist that characterizes the enviable hourglass figure. Virtually any handbag style complements this shape.
- Narrow Top to Bottom: For naturally thin figures, add dimension to your profile by avoiding closely hugging bags. Opt for unstructured, bulkier purses with horizontal detailing to create visual interest.
- Wide from Top to Bottom: With a rounder physique, lean towards structured handbags. Opt for muted colors and minimal prints for a chic look. Draw attention to the upper or central torso using a mid-length strap.
Armed with this knowledge, remember to treat selecting a handbag just like trying on clothes and shoes. The area where the purse touches your body becomes a focal point, emphasizing that particular part. For instance, if the purse rests beneath your arm near your bust, it draws the eye upwards.
So, invest time in finding the handbag that suits you best. Your perfect purse might not be the same as your friend’s—it’s a personal choice. Beyond its practicality, a handbag should amplify your style and enhance your overall appearance, becoming an essential part of your fashion journey.