Dealing with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) can be challenging for many women, but there are natural ways to alleviate its symptoms and promote overall well-being. By making simple lifestyle adjustments and incorporating natural remedies, you can experience relief during this phase of your menstrual cycle. Here are ten effective strategies to combat PMS naturally:
- Keep Track with a Symptoms Diary: Start by maintaining a symptoms diary to track your emotional and physical changes throughout the month. This will help you understand your cycle better and plan activities accordingly, ensuring you make the most of your productive and energetic days.
- Tackle Symptoms with Natural Remedies: PMS symptoms can be managed using natural remedies. For acne, consider taking a daily 15mg zinc supplement. If migraines are a concern, feverfew can provide relief. Women experiencing bloating may find relief with burdock root capsules.
- Boost Vitamins and Minerals: Studies suggest that deficiencies in certain nutrients can exacerbate PMS symptoms. Ensure you’re getting enough magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, B vitamins, iron, and zinc. A magnesium deficiency, for example, was found in 50-80% of women with PMS.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Maintaining a healthy weight is essential, as excess weight has been linked to an increased likelihood of experiencing PMS symptoms. Regular exercise and a balanced diet can contribute to weight management and overall well-being.
- Reduce Stress: Stress can worsen PMS symptoms, making relaxation techniques vital in managing them effectively. Explore activities such as yoga, meditation, or spending time in nature to promote relaxation and reduce stress levels.
- Engage in Regular Exercise: Physical activity boosts endorphins, the “feel-good” chemicals in the brain. As low endorphin levels are linked to PMS, incorporating regular exercise into your routine can elevate your mood and help manage symptoms.
- Snack Wisely: In the lead-up to your period, your body may need an additional 500 calories per day due to low iron levels. Include healthy mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks to provide your body with the necessary nutrients during this time.
- Try Essential Oils: Certain essential oils, like gammalinolenic acid (GLA) found in evening primrose oil, starflower oil, and blackcurrant oil, have been shown to reduce PMS symptoms, including irritability, stomach cramps, and breast pain.
- Harness the Power of Herbal Remedies: Agnus cactus, a popular plant-based remedy, may significantly improve PMS symptoms by more than 50 percent. Additionally, St. John’s Wort can help; however, it may reduce the effectiveness of contraceptive pills, so consult your healthcare provider before use.
- Limit PMS Aggravators: Cut down on salt, sugar, coffee, and alcohol, all of which have been associated with worsening PMS symptoms. Reducing your intake of these items can contribute to a more balanced and comfortable menstrual cycle.
By adopting these natural approaches, you can gain control over your PMS symptoms and enhance your overall well-being. Embrace a holistic approach to managing your menstrual cycle, and experience the transformative benefits of natural remedies and lifestyle adjustments.